Thursday, October 23, 2008

I did it again...

I'd like to make this public to help others avoid making the same awkward comment that I have recently made for the third - count it - first, second, third time.

Three times now, in an attempt to give a gal a compliment about her youthful appearance, I have created an awkward situation. I am somewhat famous for creating awkward situations, but I do like to avoid them whenever possible. How the scene plays out is: a woman tells me that she has a child who is X years old. I say, "wow, you don't look old enough to have a child that age." Instead of saying "thanks!" like I expect her to, she then becomes uncomfortable and tells me that she had the child when she was 14, 15, or 17 respectively. It's especially awkward if this person is your boss.

I am somehow amazed that I've managed to do this three times without learning my lesson. I'm reminded of a time when I told Katie Noble that I had just eaten 3 oranges. She said, "it's not that eating three oranges is that crazy - it's that after having eaten 2 oranges, you might say to yourself, 'I think I'll have an orange'"

-Angie

2 comments:

Aggie said...

My orange is when I ask an acquaintance whom I haven't seen in a long time, "Hey are you and so-and-so still a hot item?". Because usually the answer is "no", and it only serves as a painful reminder of the one that got away. Yet I continue to ask it.

Keep these posts coming.

John and Sarah said...

Thats hilarious.