Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Thought

I understand the optimism that comes along with the inauguration of a new President. What I don't understand is how everyone already seems to be declaring Obama's presidency a success. A historic occasion? Yes. Has the man governed yet? No. Yet "change has come to America!" For all we know he could end up being one of the worst Presidents ever. Now, I wish him well (Mark Levin would slap me for saying that), but let's see how things go before everyone starts to call for the repealing of the 22nd Amendment.

The fanfare of it all has been enjoyable though (albeit excessive).

-Matt

4 comments:

Amanda & Brian said...

I agree with you that we can't get carried away and he does have to prove himself. (He has actually been known to ask the public to calm down a bit...we have a long way to go.) But, I must say a tear did come to my eye watching him being sworn in. I'm so excited that my little boy will be born into a world where someone other than an old white guy can become president. How thrilling to be alive right now...to be a part of "change." (Even if the only change ends up being the color of the skin of the newly elected president.) I hope that, even if he isn't the greatest president ever, he does inspire people to become more involved and politically aware. Good post.

TB said...

"help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man, and when white will embrace what is right."

Mike said...

Even as an Obama supporter I tend to agree with you on this issue (also thanks to your post I now know what the 22nd amendment says). I would only add that the excitement expressed by Obama supporters is somewhat akin to the excitement social conservatives expressed at GWB's victory over Gore in 2000 (though he didn't have the luxury of Hollywood to promote his candidacy). Obama, just as Bush did in 2000, represented change and a repeal of the previous President's perceived ills.

The excitement is noticeably greater this year, however I seem to remember about 40,000+ Aggies (including myself at the time) cheering on Bush for finally restoring integrity to the White House. Eventually reality will set in for Obama as well.

John and Sarah said...

I love Mark Levin...he would slap you though