Friday, April 25, 2008

Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Aside from God, money is arguably the most controlling force in the world. Most of our money is spoken for before we even touch it. In fact, I don’t even get to touch most of it since I rarely use cash. So actually, my life is dictated by bills, plastic cards and an account balance displayed on a website. The frustrating thing about money is that it’s necessary. This world does not work without some sort of monetary system, whether it be paper bills, coins or the tradable value of a good or service.

“How much does it cost?” Is there anyway to escape this burdensome question? Probably not. I could turn to sustenance farming, but then I’d have to come up with the cash to purchase land, farming equipment, crop seeds, some animals and a ton of “How To…” books. It even costs money to found a lifestyle based upon the principle of sustaining your own existence!

Even if we survived those immense start-up costs, realistically I’d only master the production of one or two crops. Who wants to live off the same two vegetables for the rest of their life? As it is, I get tired of eating turkey and roast beef sandwiches for lunch everyday. At least making money affords me variety.

It’s a gift and a curse I guess.

- Matt

ps. You can thank those insightful street prophets the Wu-Tang Clan for that great title.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You could live in an abandoned bus on federal land, hunting, gathering, and reading Thoreau.

http://outside.away.com/outside/features/1993/1993_into_the_wild_1.html